| International Indian Treaty Council |
CONSEJO INTERNACIONAL DE TRATADOS INDIOS
OGAP Action Alert
Call Your Senators to Oppose
Domenici-Tauzin Energy Bill
Provisions Would Make Oil and Gas the Dominant Use of Western Lands
The Domenici-Tauzin energy bill spells disaster for America’s energy future and the environment, wildlife, recreationists, ranchers, and rural residents of the West.
CALL SENATOR BINGAMAN AT (202) 224-5521 AND TELL HIM TO OPPOSE THE DOMENICI-TAUZIN ENERGY BILL! CALL SENATOR DOMENICI AT (202) 224-6621 AND TELL HIM THAT YOU OPPOSE HIS BILL!
Congress is scheduled to take this bill up in conference over the coming days. Your Senators need to hear from you NOW!
Oil and gas provisions in the Domenici-Tauzin energy bill are a radical departure from the approach by Congress to managing our public lands in the West over the last 50 years.
The bill seeks to entrench oil and gas development as the dominant use of America’s western public and private “split estate” lands – at the expense of rural communities, wildlife, water quality, private property rights, recreationists, and family farms and ranches.
At the same time, the bill unnecessarily increases subsidies to the oil and gas industry – to the tune of billions of dollars – all the while shifting liability for clean-up of abandoned oil and gas fields from energy companies to taxpayers.
In the meantime, speeding up drilling in the West won’t make America energy independent.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
America’s energy future and the health of New Mexico depend on the actions of people like you today. Join citizens across the country as we send a strong message to Congress that the Domenici-Tauzin energy bill is an affront to hard-working Americans and a disastrous energy policy.
1. Call Senator Bingaman today at 202-224-5521. Call Senator Domenici today at 202-224-6621.
2. If you’d prefer to write, we recommend sending a fax rather than using regular
mail or email. Fax Senator Bingaman at 202 224-2852. Fax Senator Domenici at 202-228-0900.
3. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. We’ve posted a model letter on OGAP’s web site at www.OGAP.org.
WHAT TO SAY WHEN YOU CALL
1. I oppose the Domenici-Tauzin energy bill and urge Senator Bingaman to do the same. Or, I oppose your energy bill, Senator Domenici and urge you to rethink your approach to this issue.
2. Making oil and gas production the dominant use of our western public lands will severely harm western landscapes and communities, and the multiple uses of those lands.
3. The bill provides a mandate for the federal government to go faster with oil and gas production, when it is already going too fast in New Mexico and many other places in the West.
4. The bill provides no safeguards for landowners in split estate situations (private land over federal or otherwise leased minerals), and in fact is a further assault on their property rights and livelihoods.
5. Drilling the West won’t make America energy independent.
The oil and gas title of the Domenici-Tauzin energy bill can be viewed online at: http://www.energy.senate.gov/legislation/energybill2003/oil_gas2.pdf.
NOW’S THE TIME, CALL NOW! DON’T WAIT! PICK UP THE PHONE! GET IT OFF YOUR CHEST! CALL NOW!
Please Join us on: